Sunday, January 12, 2014

Current Project - the Baby-to-Toddler Cardi

How cute is this?
This Baby-to-Toddler Cardigan is going to be a gift for my niece Hannah.

What appealed to me about it was the simplicity of the pattern, and the fact that it was designed with sizing for 12 months, 18 months, 24 months, and 4 years.  That's a real plus.

It's a Red Heart pattern, and calls for 5 balls of Baby TLC yarn in Strawberry Orange for my 24-month size.  However, I substituted 1 big ol' ball of LionBrand Pound of Love yarn in Lavender, and it is working just fine.  I will post pictures later.

I'm using a size 9 bamboo circular needle to get the correct gauge.  I have to say, I LOVE bamboo needles.  They make things go much more smoothly, and are easier on my hands (Carpal Tunnel can make knitting an adventure).

I also want to mention another really neat find.  I use stitch counters almost constantly, since I've been working with some bulky yarn lately, and sometimes it's easy to drop a stitch, and not so easy to pick it up again.  I tend to put the counters every ten stitches or so (or five, depending on what I'm working on).  After getting very frustrated using the split-ring style (which kept breaking after a multiple rows), I went to the store to find something else.  Since it was shortly before Christmas, I found nothing.  Looking around for something I could substitute, I came upon an option that has become my absolute favorite.  They were little rings used for making jewelry, and some of them were the perfect size to slip on - you guessed it - a number 9 needle.  Of course, after a little research at home, I found out that there are actually metal stitch markers, which look almost exactly like what I ended up grabbing.  They only fit up to a size 10 needle, though, so I'm certainly open to suggestions if you have recommendations for durable stitch markers!

No comments:

Post a Comment